Saturday, April 14, 2012

First Post!

Waas House Amaryllis,  22 x 30 Watercolor on 300lb Arches


This is my first post to this new blog and having never been a person to keep a journal, this is kind of a challenging task for me.  I have been asked by several people why I don't have a website or place they can look at my work on the web.  I have kind of resisted having any larger dependency on the internet than I already have for fear of losing even more of my day to the computer.  So we'll see how this goes...

I have just finished 5 large watercolors for an upcoming show and now I am working on loosening up with some moderate size acrylic works.  Watercolor as a medium tends to bring out my worst tendencies for exacting detail so the change is my attempt to bring a more spontaneous and expressive result to my painting process.  This is an example of one of my watercolors from this past year.

There is a wonderful victorian mansion in our neighborhood known as the Waas House for it's first owners.  Each spring Amaryllis planted and now naturalized between the sidewalk and their fence bloom in a riot of red flowers.  This painting is from photos taken last spring at the beginning of their bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment